Fatty Fatty Fat Fat
I’ve spent the better part of the past year-plus making excuses. The ones that I’m specifically referring to are about my health/weight. Around my 25th birthday I was in the best shape of my life. I was about 174 lbs (at 5’9″) and I had abs. They may not have been six-pack abs, but they were visible without the need to suck in and flex out.
That seems like a long time and a lot of beers and burgers ago. In that time I:
- Met my girlfriend
- Traveled to over 10 different states (most of them for work)
- Shopped for a house
- Bought a house
- Moved into that house
- Fixed up that house
- Moved my girlfriend into that house
Most of which was done while working 4-5 days per week out of state; driving back and forth to Connecticut each week.
These were the excuses I used, reasoning that when things changed/calmed down I’d have a chance to get back into shape. Well the only thing that has changed is my waistline. I’ve made it to the gym a few times during the span, usually with a friend from work, but I haven’t been to the gym on a weekend (Friday – Sunday) in probably a year. I haven’t joined a gym near my new home since I bought the place… in October. I’ve also started homebrewing, which has added a new level of enjoyment to my favorite hobby: drinking.
I’ve also found myself drinking more during the week and on the weekends, because my job has been (m0re) stressful (than usual). The increased hours I’ve been devoting to work have taken away time from what I like to do (read, write, work-out, ec) and what I need to do (chores, also work-out) and this in turn has caused me to devote this time towards sleeping. Which I try to make up for on the weekends, and in turns leaves less time THEN for what I like and need to do.
So I’m making a commitment to myself. I’m about 189 lbs right now. I will get down to 180 lbs by the end of the summer. That’s about a 4.5% body-fat drop (I’m around 20.5% now). And here’s my plan to do it:
- No beer Monday through Wednesday, no more than one beer on commuting days (Thursday/Friday, depending on the week), less than 5 beers Friday/Saturday and less than 4 beers on Friday.
- Stop drinking calories during the week. No more lattes, macchiatos, or other sugar-and-cream heavy drinks. Water only (and maybe a diet soda with lunch/dinner).
- Low-carb diet the week of 6/10.
- Ultra-low-carb diet (less than 30g per day) 6/17 through 6/27.
- Transfer from ULC to carb-backloading diet (basically incorporating carbs into the diet for training)
- Strength train 3+ times a week
- Cardio 2+ times per week
- 4 minutes of HIIT (burpees, 20 seconds on/1o seconds rest) on any “off” day
- Join a (real) fucking gym (oh, and cancel my Planet Fitness subscription).
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
So there it is in all its easier-said-than-done glory. Wish me luck.