I am not much of a pre-planner nor much of a resolutionist*, but as 2016 draws to a close I’ve started to take stock of the goals I had for this year, my progress towards them, and my potential goals for the impending year.
It’s a bit early – about 2.5 months early – to really start prepping (/giving up) in earnest, but instead of tossing together resolutions about 2 weeks into the year, I figured I’d get a jump on things.
First, a Recap:
- Read 10+ books in 2016 – I’ve read 16 so far, including audiobooks and graphic novels.
- Brew 20 batches of homebrew (~100 gallons) – I’ve brewed 12 batches for roughly 60-65 gallons so far. I have another group brewday planned for Nov. 20 and can probably squeeze 1-2 more brewdays on top of that. So closing in on 15 by Dec. 31 is my new goals, and will probably be my 2017 goal as well.
- Win a homebrewing medal/ribbon/award – I recently won the third annual pumpkin beer competition in my homebrew club. It’s not an official award in terms of being recognized by the BJCP or NHC, but I’ll count it.
- Get down to 14% bodyfat – I’m hovering around 16% right now after wedding season and a summer of beerfests and weekend trips. I’m confident I can get to about 15% by year’s end if I push. I still want to get closer to 10%.
- Write 50 blog posts – Between my two active blogs, and including this post, I’m hovering in the mid-30s. Not bad, but not great either. I can probably hit 50 by year’s end with a more concentrated effort. I definitely want to expand this for 2017.
- Get an article published – Oh, you know it.
- Vaguely defined novel goal – Well, I’m planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year, so we’ll see on this one.
Coming in 2017:
I’ve got a solid number of plans lined up for the coming year.
- My girlfriend and I are planning trips to St. Croix and to Greece.
- I’m aiming for 15+ books in 2017, with at least 10 of them being full-length paper (i.e. only 5 audiobooks or graphic novels will count).
- 15 homebrews in 2017 is the new goal. I’d ideally like to get to 20.
- 52 blog posts in 2017. A modest increase from this year, but I also haven’t hit this year’s goal (yet).
- At least one homebrew award outside of my club.
- A raise at work, because I’m good at my job.
- 14% bodyfat (LOL).
- A second draft of a novel.
- Some free fiction content for this blog.
I’d like to talk about those last two bullets for a moment. I’ve mentioned in previous posts that I’ve been steadily trying to develop a writing habit. Recently, I’ve found myself pumping out more and more words. I don’t know if it’s some natural cyclical/seasonal uptick in creativity, renewed motivation, or some other confluence of factors but I’ve been writing fiction with my coffee before work, steadily journaling, and (holy shit) even updating this piece of shit blog.
If I don’t develop crippling carpel-tunnel, I intend to do a running diary of my first attempt at NaNoWriMo. I’ll write more about this soon, but for those who don’t know, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a 30 day challenge to write 50,000 words. It takes place in November each year, so I’ll be taking this challenge in less than 2 weeks. I’m not sure what my “novel” will be about just yet, because the idea is to come in with a fresh idea, so my morning fiction is inadmissible**. Like I said I’ll have more about this later, but if it goes well, I want to take time in 2017 to edit and produce a second draft of the completed story.
As for the free shit, that’s where these morning sessions come in. My hope is to create a serialized story that I can start rolling out in 2017. Right now, I’m averaging around 600 words a day. My hope is that between the end of October, December, and January I’ll have enough to share that I can start dropping weekly stories.
That’s all I have for tonight. It was nice rambling at you kids again. Let’s do it again some time.
* Fun Fact: this is not a word.
** Of course if I’m really stuck, I’m just gonna say “fuck it” and get that easy first few words for free.